The Convent of St. Agnes of Bohemia
Founded by Princess Agnes of the Premyslid dynasty in 1231, the Convent of St. Agnes of Bohemia is the oldest Gothic building in Prague and was used by the Order of Saint Clare, also known as the Order of Poor Ladies (the second Franciscan order established, founded by St. Clare and St. Francis of Assisi in 1212). The convent was influential as a spiritual center in Prague and also was used as the burial spot for the Premyslids. The Dominicans took over in the 16th century and resided there for 70 years, after which the convent was shut down. The building was then used for housing the poor and storage space. This wondrous Gothic structure narrowly escaped demolition in the 19th century when historic synagogues and homes were destroyed in the Old Town and Jewish Quarter slum clearance, due to the success of the Union for the Renewal of the Convent of the Blessed Agnes. The National Gallery renovated the structure in 1963, the convent displays medieval art from Bohemia and Central Europe.
U Milosrdných 17, Praha 1, +420 224 810 628, www.ngprague.cz
The Gothic Charles Bridge is easily the most recognizable sight in the beautiful city of Prague. Legend has it that the builders added eggs to the foundation in order to make it stronger. After an ext ...
This impressive 65 meter Gothic tower, constructed by Matous Rejsek in 1475 and modeled after the 14th century Old Town Bridge Tower, sits majestically at the beginning of the Royal coronation route, ...
Church of our Lady before Tyn
In the gorgeous center of Prague, in famous Old Town Square, sits the imposing, often sinister looking, the Church of our Lady before Tyn; if you happen to first catch sight of this Gothic beauty in t ...
The Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV commissioned the construction and design of St. Vitus to Frenchman Matthias of Arras in 1344 and after the passing of Matthias to Peter Parler in 1356. Matthias of Ar ...
The House at the Stone Bell
Situated in magnificent Old Town Square, The House at the Stone Bell is a wonderful example of the glorious Gothic architecture Charles IV brought to the city of Prague. Built in the 13th century, it ...